The best blender for me is?
What to lookout for when buying a blender.
The best blender is one that does everything you need it to do and a bit more. Blenders can be multifunctional kitchen appliances that are used to create smoothies, shakes, soups, dips and dressings. The best blenders have enough power to make crushed ice, and some even are so powerful that they can make fresh peanut butter.
To determine which blender is best for you you first need to ask yourself, “What will I use the blender for?” Once you have answered this question then here are a few things to consider when shopping for your blender.
- Review your blender wants and needs – What do you want to do with your blender? Answering this question will help you decide what kind of blender you should be looking at. For example, if you want to use ice cubes and hard frozen fruit then you will need a blender that can handle this process well, i.e., has more power.
- Blender power - The more horsepower / watts, the more powerful the blender will be. The advantages: your fruit and vegetable drinks will be creamier and smoother, and if your blender has enough power you will be able to make fresh peanut butter from peanuts. Or you can turn ice cubes into crushed ice for frozen drinks.
- Blender speed – Blender blade speed. Blender power is more important than blender speed. You don’t really need a 10 speed blender. Most blender jobs can be done with just three speeds and a pulse option. The most efficient blenders are high speed blenders.
- Blender blade – Blender blades are either integrated into the pitcher or are detachable. Detachable blender blades can be easier to clean, e.g., when making thicker sauces. However the more moving parts the greater the chance for leaks and wear and tear. Most high-end blender pitchers have integrated blades. Blender blades come in different shapes, widths and lengths too. Blender blades are two, four or six pronged.
- Blender pitcher/jar – Blender pitchers need to funnel food or liquid down to the blades to provide an even blend and mix. Common material used for blender pitchers are glass, polycarbonate and stainless steel. Each manufacturer has their own graded material; some are brake resistant, dishwasher safe, scratch resistant and commercially rated. Glass blender pitchers are much heavier than polycarbonate pitchers but are also less scratch resistant. Stainless steel might look sleek and does not break, but you can not see what is inside. Some blender pitchers are wider than others. When working with food wider is generally better, less clogging.
- Blender pitcher/jar capacity - Most blenders range in pitcher capacity size from 40 to 64 ounces (1.2 – 1.9 liters). If possible, always buy a larger blender pitcher. You do not want your blender to overflow. Your family size or portion size might be an important factor when deciding, which is the best blender for your needs and lifestyle, e.g., baby food, entertaining friends, or preparing meals for the entire week.
- Blender pulse - Blenders with a pulse button can be used for crushing ice and can prevent over mixing or over processing, therefore providing more individual control.
- Blender design – Most blenders are countertop blenders, so remain displayed on kitchen countertops. Aesthetics are very important for many; however remember if your blender does not do what you need it to do you will not use it. Some blenders come in various colors. Note, some blenders are very tall and therefore don’t fit under standard cabinets.
- Blender type – Blenders fall in one of three categories: home blender, professional blender and commercial blender. Most professional blenders are for home use, for frequent use. Some are professional bar blenders mainly for mixing drinks, some might be commercial certified. Commercial blenders are certified for commercial usage.
- Blender warranty – Blenders warranties vary from one-year to seven-years. Most professional blenders have the longest warranties. Some blender brands provide longer warranty on the blender's motor than pitcher.
- Savings – Blenders can save you time, money and space. Blenders can save you time by easily chopping and mixing up food for your meals - a quick way to make a healthy meal or drink. Blenders can save you money by giving you the option of eating and drinking healthier instead of spending money on fast-food. And in some cases blenders can replace other kitchen appliances and thereby not only saving you money but also saving you cupboard or kitchen countertop space.
- Healthy lifestyle – Making a rich and notorious smoothie with fresh ingredients only takes a few minutes, and is the healthier option than most processed and fast-foods.
- Versatility – If eating fresh food or drinking fresh shakes as often as possible is important to you then a blender can enrich your cooking and preparation experience. Many different ingredients can easily be mixed together and blended into incredible drinks, dips, sauces, dressings, and soups. Some blenders are even that powerful to turn nuts into butters, or whole wheat grains into fresh powdery flour.
Best Blenders Rule #1:
"Do not be penny-wise and pound foolish when picking your blender."
Reason why: If your blender does not meet your expectations and needs you will not use it, and/or your blender has deficiencies, here too, you will not use it. The right blender will do a lot for you and you will use it regularly for a very long time.